Tuesday, October 25, 2011

One Skillet Pork with Wild Rice


Finally, a truly one dish meal that is pretty darn tasty! I have so many of those cookbooks that say "One Dish Meals" that are absolutely not. I have to mess up every mixing bowl, plate, pot, and frying pan even before I have to put it into a baking dish and shove it in the oven. This recipe is exactly what it says it is. I picked this little number up from the Pork Board's 20 for 20 website. Due to getting bored quickly with foods, I try to make a least one new meal that I've never made before a week. This one definitely goes into the "keep" pile of recipes. Husband approved.

This can also easily be cut down to feed two people, with some leftovers for lunch. The only pork tenderloin I could find was 28 oz. so I cut it in half and put one half in the freezer. I also only used half the 8 oz. container of mushrooms. The servings for this recipe say for four, but I find that hard to believe. You could easily feed six or eight people with it. Cut it down, save some money.

Ingredients:
1 pound pork tenderloin, lean, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 (8 ounce) package sliced white mushrooms, OR brown mushrooms
1 1/2 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium
1 cup uncooked white and wild rice blend ( I used Uncle Ben's Long Grain White and Wild Rice, but you can use any brand as long as it has a cook time around 20-25 minutes)
1 tablespoon Italian herbs, herbes de Provence OR other dried herb blend
1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed

Directions

  1. In a large skillet or saute pan with a tight-fitting lid over high heat, combine pork, mushrooms, broth, rice, and herbs. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 15 minutes. Stir in mixed vegetables and continue to cook until liquid has absorbed, rice is tender, and pork is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Super easy, super quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment