Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Chicken Breast with Mushroom Cream Sauce


Tonight's dinner is classified under "a bit tougher than I would have liked." I found the recipe on Delish.com and it sounded soooooo good. It was very tasty, even though I kind of over did one side of the chicken.

Ingredients:
  • 2 5-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
  • 1 tablespoon(s) canola oil
  • 1 medium shallot, minced (I left this out because no matter how many grocery lists I make, I never remember everything)
  • 1 cup(s) thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (I used white button mushrooms)
  • 2 tablespoon(s) dry vermouth, or dry white wine
  • 1/4 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoon(s) heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoon(s) minced fresh chives, or scallion greens (Couldn't find either at my local grocery store, so I substituted green onions, a very good choice!)
Directions:
  1. Season chicken with pepper and salt on both sides.
  2. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once or twice and adjusting the heat to prevent burning, until brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 12 to 16 minutes. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
  3. Add shallot to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 2 minutes. Pour in vermouth (or wine); simmer until almost evaporated, scraping up any browned bits, about 1 minute. Pour in broth and cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cream and chives (or scallions); return to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan, turn to coat with sauce and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
It took a lot of effort to get the chicken done enough and that's where I made my screw up. Any one who knows how to accurately operate a stove will have no problem. The cream sauce is really not that much. When I remake this recipe, I will add more cream and broth to have more of a sauce. Since I put this over bowtie pasta, we would have appreciated more of a sauce.

On the side I made roasted asparagus. I'm surprised my husband hasn't banned me from buying it, but it's so tasty! I just trim the asparagus, lay on a baking sheet with sides, coat with olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes. It's quick, easy, and delicious!

Even Morgan got into it!

No comments:

Post a Comment